Friday, March 5, 2010

Slowly Making Tamales etc., Conclusion

Making tamales is a lot of work, especially when you’re new to it or out of practice. The saving graces are that it’s almost just as easy to make a lot as it is to make a little and that they hold up well to freezing and refrigeration. Reheating them with microwave or steam is a snap.


The first night I made what most people call Spanish rice, but which I’ve stubbornly named Mexican rice pilaf. After sautéing aromatics, veggies, and rice, I transferred the lot to the rice cooker along with some chicken stock. After the rice cooker popped into warming mode, I fluffed the rice and added some refrigerated tamales to the top, then pushed the button for another cook cycle. When the button popped again, the tamales were perfectly steamed and ready to eat. Meanwhile, I refried the frijoles de olla in fresh drippings from six pieces of chopped bacon. I could have use lard if I had any left, but I had used it all for the tamale dough.


The hearty simplicity of tamales with beans and rice topped with sour cream and green onion was so satisfying that I barely missed the pico de gallo I would normally have made to go with it.


For reheating the second night, I cut a new piece of banana leaf and used it to line the stovetop steamer. I placed the refrigerated rice pilaf on the leaf, added the last two tamales to the side of the steamer, cranked up the heat, and let ’er rip for about five minutes. Setting this aside, I made a new batch of refritos. The tamales and rice were every bit as fluffy and tender as if they were made that day. Both the rice cooker and the stovetop steamer were equally suited for reheating.


I guess I should mention here that my stove has only one burner, which is what most people in Thailand have. Organizing oneself to cope with cooking only one pot at a time can be challenging at times for those of us accustomed to the profligate four-burner stove, but I have found that this arrangement better suits my attention span.


Photos of this project can be viewed at http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=196441&id=693824809&l=8ec8efa9eb.


That’s all for now…. Okay, no more teasing – recipes to follow.

No comments: